Old spacious houses fascinate me. I remember a beautiful and strong old lady who must have been an excellent cook (hum khaana khaane kahin bhi jaa sakte hain J), a bossy patriarch of the house (Old lady’s husband) so on and so forth. They must have lived there once upon a time with their families. Now either they are either too old to decide the course of things or they are no more and that’s why the ‘home’ they built with so much love and affection is giving way to malls and shopping complexes.
I used to visit one of friend in her PG (Paying Guest) house, in South End Circle. It was a old house again. It had a old couple too. The rooms were very spacious unlike the apartments of today. I loved the grace in the Old lady’s face and a Jasmine tree in that compound. My friend got married and I did not go to that road again. I went to that road after 2-3 months and to my surprise, the house had vanished and a huge complex stood as a replacement.
What causes us demolish the ‘home’ we grew up? The same ‘home’ which protected us from so many hardships of life. Where Amma taught us ‘Vakratunda Mahakaya’, where Appa slapped us for lying, where we fought with siblings for an extra piece of sweet.
May be I know the answer also, Money.
I remember reading a tribal story with a moral that, when you loose everything to earn money, you will understand that you cannot eat money!
No comments:
Post a Comment