Monday, November 06, 2006

Pudu Pudu Arthangal

I have some memories attached to some of the very good movies.
One of them is Pudhu Pudhu Arthangal. I had watched this movie when I was in school with my aunt. As usual I didn’t get a word out of it. All that enjoyed in the movie, while watching it for the first time was actor Geetha’s beauty and hero’s looks. (I don’t even know his name J). Same aunt with whom I watched this movie was here last week and the very next day after she left this movie was aired on Jaya TV.

Pudhu Pudhu Arthangal means, a new meaning. The film truly gives a new meaning to dimensions of the relationships.

Well, this time around I am not an illiterate in Tamil; I can perceive some thing out of it.
While watching the movie I thought it must be a K.Balachander movie and I was proud to know that I was correct.

Pudhu Pudhu Arthangal, like all K.Balachander movies is all about relationships. The most complex thing on earth! Husband is a smart guy and a famous singer. Wife loves her husband beyond imaginations and this is suffocating to the husband. To add o,n wife’s mother does not like her son in law to a great extent. Wife does not know how to handle a relationship, neither does the husband know how to console her. Between all this enters a new lady into the life of husband, who eventually becomes a very good friend and then more than a friend to the hero, i.e. husband. Complete mess all over! Right? Well, that’s K.Balachander for you.
He entangles the characters one into another before solving the puzzle, guess he enjoys solving them.

Coming back to the story, our hero and his newfound lady love go to Goa and meet a wonderful old couple (Played remarkably well by Sawkar Janaki and very good actor of Tamil, Sorry I don’t know his name). Hero becomes a hotel server and is leading a peaceful life with this new girl friend. He calls up his secretary after knowing that his dog is no more. (Balachander is very clever at such scenes). Eventually, hero’s mom in law will come to know about hero’s hiding in Goa and he is made to return.

Now starts the whole drama of solving, things to go to extremes before they get cleared. (May be this is true in real life too!). Like heroine Geetha becomes mentally ill and is in a asylum although she has now understood her relationship with her husband, it’s too late because he has already gone with the other lady. Finally new lady in the movie (played by Sitara) will give (?) hero to his wife and she leaves with her husband who had once cheated her.
Sitara while leaving says this to the hero, “ The only mistake your wife committed is, she loves you more than any thing”.

I love the scene where in Geetha asks Sitara whether she can kiss her husband. Some scenes speak volumes by themselves. Lot more memories and lot more thoughts are attached to this movie but I have decided to post them later.

Relationships are always to be maintained to be nurtured. Nothing in this universe can exist with out maintenance, some things are maintained by Nature or God and some by human beings. I think it would have been better if God had taken the responsibility of maintaining our relationships for us. Life would have been much more simpler huh!

1 comment:

  1. Another nice movie which narrates relationship with his own 'death' .."Meet Joe black" is worth a watch

    ReplyDelete